Small Business Excellence Awards 2019
Small Business Excellence Awards 2018
Small Business Excellence Awards 2017
Expert Network Distinguished Lawyer
Best of 2016 Colorado Springs
American Institute of Family Attorneys
American Institute of Legal Counsel
American Institute of Family Attorneys
10 Best Law Firms

Child Custody and Visitation

Rather than giving sole custody of a child to one parent, Colorado law allows both mothers and fathers to spend a substantial amount of time parenting their children, (unless specific circumstances or the child's best interests dictate otherwise) One parent is designated the primary residential parent and the other person receives parenting time.

Colorado Springs Child Custody Attorney Ray Chamberland believes that it is important to negotiate child custody and visitation agreements that are in the best interests of the children—otherwise, a Colorado court will come up with a parenting plan by applying Colorado's best interests standard.

Colorado Parenting Plan

Colorad Springs Attorney Chamberland will work with you and the other parent to develop a detailed parenting plan that takes into account parental decision-making, living arrangements, and parenting time, including visits and overnight stays.

Mr. Chamberland believes in reaching agreements and minimizing conflict with the other party through negotiation and mediation, including Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and working with a child family investigator (CFI). If necessary, however, he will resort to litigation with a vigorous approach to protect the rights of his clients and their children.

Modification and Enforcement of Colorado Parenting Time Agreements

Sometimes, modifications to agreements regarding parenting time and parental decision-making authority are necessary because there has been a change in living situation, the child's needs have changed, or his or her safety is in danger by spending time or living with one parent.

Enforcement of a Colorado child custody agreement may be necessary if one parent refuses to honor the existing decree. Colorado Springs Attorney Ray Chamberland can help you petition the court to modify or enforce your existing Colorado parenting time order.

Relocation / Move Away Cases

In the event that one parent wishes to relocate outside of Colorado, the parenting time of the other parent can be affected. Relocation is a common issue that arises for many families with child custody cases, especially in El Paso County, Colorado where many military families reside.

Colorado Child Custody Attorney Ray Chamberland practiced military law as a Staff Judge Advocate for many years before establishing Chamberland Law, his own private Colorado Springs family law practice. He has helped families with every possible situation involving one parent moving to or outside Colorado. He can help you deal with the legal issues that inevitably arise. It is important for both parents to know that in most cases, a child cannot be moved outside Colorado without the other parent and/or a Colorado court's consent.

For more information about relocation/move away cases involving military families, visit Chamberland Law's Military Family Law page.

Grandparents' Rights

Colorado law allows grandparents to petition for visitation or parental rights over their grandchildren. Attorney Chamberland works with grandmothers and grandfathers to enforce those rights by applying the Children's Code or the Uniform Dissolution of Marriage Act (UDMA) to help them acquire visitation or parental rights over their grandchildren.

Clients Served

Attorney Ray Chamberland represents civilian and military mothers and fathers living in Colorado Springs, Cimarron Hills, Security-Widefield, Monument, Woodland Park, Black Forest, Canon City, Fountain, Florissant, and other cities in the Pikes Peak Region, the Tri-Lakes Area, Douglas County, Fremont County, and El Paso County, Colorado.

To schedule your initial consultation with an experienced Colorado Springs child custody lawyer, call Chamberland Law at (719) 527-3999 or contact us online.

Client Reviews
"Ray did an excellent job representing me in my custody case involving my two children. He and his staff were genuinely interested in my case, they were responsive in a timely manner, and the attorney was well-prepared in court. We ended up with a good result and I will use his services again in the future should the need arise. I could not have done it on my own and I appreciate the excellent service he provides!" Jim
"He did such a great job during my divorce & custody battle with my ex-husband. Ray & Cindy are extremely responsive, helpful, accommodating and understanding of all situations. He was able to get me everything I wanted and I recommend him to everyone. In fact, I'm almost positive my ex husband even refers people to Ray for divorce and custody haha." Tina
"Ray and his staff did a great job on my divorce case! It's a tough situation to be in but Ray's advice was accurate and helpful and he did not sugar-coat anything. The chosen custody evaluator did a good job with his investigation as Ray said he would, and my concerns were always taken seriously by the attorney. He was prompt in answering my questions and did his best to keep my attorneys fees as low as possible. Together we achieved a good result and I would use his services again in the future." Richard